Posts Tagged ‘strings’

Style-X socket rails…

Style-X is now ready for dampers to be fitted. First regulation complete, and the piano is up to pitch.

Seen here just after positioning the socket rails (which guide the dampers) – you can see them just under the strings in the bottom right corner of the picture. In a few hours they’ll be hidden from view by the newly rebuilt dampers…

Written on January 17th, 2013. 0 Comments

Stringing…

Today, I finished stringing the Style-X. Here you can see the second section of the piano – the brass plate held in place by many screws, wrest pins (which are used for tuning the piano), and nice neat coils of steel string. In the background the blue felt is to stop the small sections of string between the wrest pins and the studs from vibrating.

Written on December 20th, 2012. 0 Comments

Bass bridge…

Bass bridge on the Style-X has now been drilled. Next job will be to apply coats of black lead (to help the strings slide over the top of the bridge when the piano is tuned), carve the notches, and fit new bridge pins.

Written on December 10th, 2012. 0 Comments

Tuning…

With the piano fully strung, it now needs to be brought up up pitch. Quite a gradual process on this piano, as various parts of the stringing mechanism need to settle down (sometimes helped a little with some carefully placed taps from a hammer + drift) before the tuning can stabilise.

My Accu-Tuner IV is being used in its most basic form here – as a tone generator, with a foot switch to increment/decrement the tone as I change notes.

Written on September 4th, 2012. 0 Comments

Stringing tools…

I needed rather more stringing tools than usual for this piano! I usually use just one pair of pliers for a start…

The piano is now fully strung, and will have muting blocks (to damp the non-speaking part of the string between the tuning screws and the “capo” bar) fitted later today before the task of bringing the piano up to pitch begins.

Written on August 31st, 2012. 2 Comments

Brinsmead – new tuning screw…

The first of the new bass strings is being fitted to the Brinsmead, and also this beautifully crafted new tuning screw. I’m very thankful to a good friend of mine for all the effort he put into making this part for me. (And he’ll be very pleased to hear it fitted perfectly, and was a joy to work with!)

Written on August 29th, 2012. 2 Comments

No.1 of 88…

Note No.27 is the first to be strung on this Blüthner – only 87 more to do….!

Written on March 16th, 2012. 0 Comments

Eyes…

Every treble string on a Blüthner has a hand made eye at one end to secure it to the frame. Pictured here is the first of the 229 that will be fitted to Blüthner No.83988.

Written on March 16th, 2012. 0 Comments

Blüthner 72917….

Now in the showroom

Written on January 23rd, 2012. 0 Comments

“Style-V” post…

Written on November 1st, 2011. 0 Comments

Latest Work

Bechstein rebuild started…
Final fitting of new legs…
Lyre parts…
New Blüthner legs…

Latest Blog Posts

Search

 

Follow

Get every new post on this blog delivered to your Inbox.

Join other followers: