Posts Tagged ‘mahogany’

Final fitting of new legs…

Seen here, the Bass leg on the Blüthner Style-X – I had just started fine-tuning the new leg boss to mate properly with the new leg. Quite a long process of test fitting, then removing fine shavings until everything is snug.

Please look here for a picture of the legs and lyre fitted – I was double checking to make sure there would be enough clearance under the lyre.

Written on March 12th, 2018. 0 Comments

New Blüthner legs…

A recently finished job – making new legs, all threaded wooden case fixtures, and lyre for a Style-X Blüthner. Beech cores, with Mahogany outers for a closer colour match to the Rosewood case. Please look here for a picture of the legs after staining and finishing. In the past I’ve used the original cores from turned legs that have been boxed – this was the first time I built legs from scratch. The original legs and threaded fittings had all been removed in the past and replaced with modern square legs.

Written on March 5th, 2018. 2 Comments

New Brinsmead hammers…

Fitting new hammers to the Brinsmead action. Very unusually, this piano has mahogany shanks – most piano makers use hornbeam for this part.

I’m assuming Brinsmead decided to use mahogany as it’s a little lighter than hornbeam, and would result in an action that responds slightly better to being played quietly – however, it certainly isn’t as robust. (I also noted there is a lot of mahogany in the rest of the piano too, so it could simply be that Brinsmead was making use of the materials he had to hand!)

Written on September 22nd, 2012. 0 Comments

Latest Work

Bechstein rebuild started…
Final fitting of new legs…
Lyre parts…
New Blüthner legs…

Latest Blog Posts

Search

 

Follow

Get every new post on this blog delivered to your Inbox.

Join other followers: