Posts Tagged ‘beech’

Final fitting of new legs…

Seen here, the Bass leg on the Blüthner Style-X – I had just started fine-tuning the new leg boss to mate properly with the new leg. Quite a long process of test fitting, then removing fine shavings until everything is snug.

Please look here for a picture of the legs and lyre fitted – I was double checking to make sure there would be enough clearance under the lyre.

Written on March 12th, 2018. 0 Comments

New Blüthner legs…

A recently finished job – making new legs, all threaded wooden case fixtures, and lyre for a Style-X Blüthner. Beech cores, with Mahogany outers for a closer colour match to the Rosewood case. Please look here for a picture of the legs after staining and finishing. In the past I’ve used the original cores from turned legs that have been boxed – this was the first time I built legs from scratch. The original legs and threaded fittings had all been removed in the past and replaced with modern square legs.

Written on March 5th, 2018. 2 Comments

Bellyhead…

Detail shot of the “bellyhead” on Blüthner No.83988. A rather interesting meeting of spruce, oak, beech, and maple.

Written on March 15th, 2012. 0 Comments

Last leg…

Last of the legs for Blüthner No.83988. Seen here with the depths marked, ready for the final shaping of the caster end of the leg.

Written on February 6th, 2012. 0 Comments

New leg…

The back leg for Blüthner No.83988. The black marks are places where the original leg is showing through the turning. These will be cleaned out and filled at the next stage, then “flutes” will be added to the long tapered part of the leg.

Written on February 5th, 2012. 0 Comments

Leg blank…

The beginnings of the new back leg for Blüthner No.83988.

Written on February 3rd, 2012. 0 Comments

Latest Work

Bechstein rebuild started…
Final fitting of new legs…
Lyre parts…
New Blüthner legs…

Latest Blog Posts

Search

 

Follow

Get every new post on this blog delivered to your Inbox.

Join other followers: